This afternoon, I thought it would be fun to help the girls set up a hummingbird feeder. We have planted a cardinal flower, which is supposed to attract hummingbirds, but so far we have had no customers. So, I thought we would add a new item to the menu.
I took Morgan and Emmelyn out to Lowe’s to get a little feeder, and we came home to set it up. To begin, we started to create our nectar. I will include the very simple recipe at the bottom of this post.
Each of the girls had a hand in mixing the solution and also helped to
carefully pour it into the feeder when it was done. While cooling, I went out to the shed and picked up one of our Shepherd’s Hooks to hang the feeder on outside our window on the side of the house.
Now we just get to wait and see if we get any interested birds.
1 part sugar
4 parts water
Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes and let cool.
It used to be customary to use red food coloring in the solution to help attract the hummingbirds. I have read in some places that the red dye can cause mouth sores to form in the hummingbirds, which is obviously not the intended outcome. We chose a red feeder so that we wouldn’t have to add food coloring to the solution. For more detailed information you can check out this article about how to care for the feeder and making the nectar solution.
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in Pictures (travelspirit333.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in Pictures (largeself.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in pictures (blatherskiteblog.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 In Pictures (cobbledtoolbox.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (littlemuddyboots.co.uk)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (travel-monkey.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (charlieray45.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in Pictures (canoecommunications.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (larawanbymariannesilloriquez.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (trishadm.wordpress.com)
My mom presented us with a creation of our year in pictures. She had taken photos from our blogs and facebook pages to create the movie. Please enjoy our 2012 in pictures…
Tonight, we dressed the girls up in different characters. Savannah was Ariel, The Little Mermaid, Emmelyn was in a little Halloween outfit, and Morgan was dressed up as Doc McStuffins, her favorite character…EVER!
We went to church this evening for the fall festival so they could play some games and get some candy. We got home and ate some hotdogs and then Morgan and Emmelyn went to the playroom for a bit. After a few minutes, we heard Morgan singing. I didn’t know I was going to get all this. NOTE: To get the full effect, you need to watch the video to the end! The look on Morgan’s face at the end is priceless.
Tonight, Morgan (our 3-year-old) and Emmelyn (our 1-year-old) were watching mommy unpack a package that came in the mail. Emmelyn was beginning to get irritated that she could not play with the new items that arrived…they were some clothes. Morgan was standing by watching what mommy was doing and apparently stepped a little close to Emmelyn. Emmelyn, seated, screamed and pushed at Morgan, who was standing to get her away because apparently, she was too close.